Places we have been.

"No experience required, just bring your money." This is the advice we got from our friends. We got a dinner reservation at 7 pm in the Favourites Restaurant last Friday evening. Since it was our first to be in this place, I did a little bit of reading thru their website on how to go about the betting but it is complicated.

The Standard bred horse race commenced at 7:40pm and there were 12 races for the night. Because of its close proximity to where we live, we didn't have to worry about the usual traffic jam. The Woodbine complex is vast. There was no problem at all to find a parking spot and most of all it was free which is quite surprising here in Toronto.






We met our friends at the lobby and we headed together to the second floor where the Favourites Restaurant is. We had a very good location giving us a very clear sight of the race track. As soon as we were settled, we started to scan through the race guide. The race information and the statistics figures presented were overwhelming. With the limited time we had, we decided to call the staff who gave us a very quick explanation on how to go about it. Though we didn't really grasp all the mechanics and techniques on how to pick our bet, we decided to push the button.



Favourites Restaurant



The Horse Race Track



The odds for the race 1




Referring back to the guide, there were 8 horses for the first race. Among the many information and statistics provided, we just looked at the recommended probable favourites, the ranking from the previous 6 races, the running time from the previous 6 races, the horse’s background info and finally the Race Computer Analysis.

There are various types of bets but as a beginner I opted to stick to the basic ones.

WIN : You must select the winner of the race.
PLACE : Your horse must finish first, second
SHOW : Your horse must finish fist, second or third.
EXACTOR: Select the first two horses in exact order of finish
TRIACTOR: Select the first three horses in exact order of finish

EXACTOR BOX: Box two, three or more horses - your ticket is cashable if two of the boxed horses finish first and second
TRIACTOR BOX: Box three, four or more horses - your ticket is cashable if three of the boxed horses finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd, in any order.

To make things simple, I bet to WIN, $3 for the horse no. 8 AIR MCNAIR. As soon as I got the ticket, I waited anxiously for the race to start. No pressure, it's just for fun. Then the race went on....and guess what? I won! I got $18.

My horse finished first. I won!
Race 2 is on.





I was ecstatic; it made me really excited to bet for the following races. My friends were telling me, I should have bet for $100. Well, it's too late. We bet more and more but my lucky charm has quickly disappeared. I never won again.


The Buffet


Talking about the buffet dinner, it was ok but nothing really special about it. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful experience. I would love to go back there again with friends one of these days. It was really fun!


For more information about Woodbine, visit their website http://www.woodbineentertainment.com/woodbine/index.html


1 comments:

This is a great experience for sure! I also spent an evening at Santa Ana Park Philippines, watching Philippine Racing Club races!