Places we have been.

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Niagara by Night


We spent our weekend in Niagara on the Lake. We got there in the afternoon and were treated right away with the German traditional 'Kaffee und Kuchen' (coffee and cake). Her home radiates the Christmas spirit inside and out. I was so delighted to see the 'Plätzchen' (Christmas cookies) packed in Christmas wrappers.

At around 3pm, we drove to the theatre to watch the movie 'The Band's Visit'. I wasn't expecting much from it because I haven't even heard about it before. But in contrary, it turned out to be a wonderful with subtle humour and a very charming movie. It depicts two very different cultures: Arabs and Israelis; that shows they are both ordinary people with ordinary hopes, lives and disappointments. It's worth watching. From the theatre we headed home for dinner.

Later in the evening, we decided to drive to Niagara Falls which is just about 20 minutes drive. On our way, I was pre-occupied watching the Christmas lights and decorations illuminating the streets and the neighbourhoods. It was truly overwhelming.

It wasn't quite easy to find a parking space close to the falls. Hence, we ended up walking a distance. Though it was just 0 degrees Celsius, it felt much colder due to the wind. I was concerned that I wasn't wrapped-up warm enough to stand the cold. It was great wandering around the place, the Christmas lights and decorations bring so much life to the place. Not long enough, I started to feel my toes getting numb. It was freezing cold! Nevertheless, it didn't cease my desire to stroll by the falls, enjoy the gushing sound of the water and enjoy the beautiful sight of the falls. In between, I had to take refuge in one of the shops there to warm me up because I could feel my feet frozen and the pain in my hands.


























On our way back to the car, nothing could be better than to fetch ourselves a cup of Tim Horton's coffee. While enjoying our sip, the Ferriswheel in front of us seemed so inviting however, Aunt Rosie can't so I opted to just let it pass.

We then later on hit the road back to the Niagara on the Lake. It was around 10:30pm when we got home. That long walk combined with the freezing temperature took us to bed early and gave us a very sound sleep. After our brunch the next day, we headed back to Mississauga making a two-hour stop at the Fairview Mall in St. Catharines.

0 comments: