Places we have been.

Monday, November 19, 2007

An Evening at the Circus Barelli

We drove off to the Neuemessplatz at 7:15pm. It was a Friday night-out with my mother-in-law and Leyla. Well, my first time in real circus show. Although I was told that it will be warm inside the venue, I still wore enough warm clothes to make sure I won’t freeze.

As we arrived at the venue, there was already a queue at the entrance: quite many small children, young people, middle-aged and older couples. Since, we have the tickets already; we saved the time queuing at the ticket booth. I was excited then because I only have seen this kind of show on TV. We first stepped into a hall with stalls of beverages, sausages, sandwiches etc. I was glad that it was warm, i have othing to worry at all. We were even joking that we will be in the Island of Boracay (Philippines) for 4 hours. As we got into the sitting area, there was a number of circus staff who guided the people to their respective seats. For me, the place was heated enough that we have to take off our jackets but for the others they said it was too warm. Some were even saying that they can take off as well their trousers (lol). I was amused with the children in front of us. They were having fun with their luminous toys which were being sold inside.



Exactly at 8pm the show started with a very interactive activity with the audience. The circus team has their own orchestra, over a hundred staff and a hundred animals on site. By the way, they are on tour for their 25th anniversary. In Mannheim, the show is on from Nov. 9 to 19. (http://www.circusbarelli.de/)




With all the spotlights on, the orchestra started to play Arabic song then a rush of beautiful and good looking camels came out with a beautiful belly dancer. I was telling my mother-in-law that the camels look so healthy and clean, contrary to the ones I used to ride in Dubai when we went to Desert Safari (lol).




(During our Dunes Bashing/Desert Safari in Dubai)


Then the sexy and beautiful horses came out running with grace. Beautiful!


As they switch from one number to another, at times they had to set-up/change the props. I was so keen on observing how efficiently these people do their job in just a matter of few seconds. Of course, I do know that they have been in this business for years but it’s really interesting to know and see how organized and efficient people can be.


After two hours they announced a 20 minute break. During this time, the audience will have a chance to see and touch the animals backstage. The entry fee was Euro 5 per person. It was explained that the proceeds will be spent for the animals: food, shelter and medical needs etc. We decided not to go, to avoid the crowd. We went instead to the get ourselves something to drink. Then we headed back to our seats. While waiting, I was watching the staff setting-up steel fences around the stage, put the net above and set the steel pathways of the animals from their cage to the stage. Wow! The system is really impressive, few minutes after all was set. I had the impression that every step and move has been calculated, no time wasted. It’s like a plug and play concept with computers. Then started the show with the parade of the tigers. They look scary! I was just thinking that if things go wrong, it will be a disaster. I was already mapping where the Exit is (lol). Anyway, the show went on with acrobatic stunts, comical stints and more animals in showcase. It was amazing!










The cute baby horse.

One thing which really made me in awe is that the way the Masters communicate with the animals. It’s really amazing to see that the Master just looks at the eyes of the tigers and somehow they understood what they’re supposed to do. Nevertheless, I have no inclination to rearing animals let alone I’m not a good care provider.
After an hour, the show has culminated. Over all, it was wonderful show.

A plan to watch another circus show is already on the shelf. We’ll see when and where.

1 comments:

Hi Jernie, thanks ,i saw your comment in my blog today,you live it in the picture so i haven't found it before.sametime i always can not live message in your "what's up" ,but everytime i saw the last person live message there still our Philippine beauty Norie ,hehe. you also look like happy in canada except cold weather.for me ,DBS is ok,but PW are better ,wedding day still no person and many live pressure i'll suffering before that.like herbert said,bright furture will be .so ,keep in touch ,and best wishes to our ever site manager and first lady!