Places we have been.

Friday, June 27, 2008

Still on Euro 2008 Football Cup


Germany and Spain Teams are onboard for the final match on June 29 (Sunday). Certainly, it will be a lot more exciting to watch it with the crowd. I'll have to check the best place to be because the Pride Parade will also be taking place at the same time. I can't imagine how will it be in Europe specially in Germany. It must be crazy.

I was at the Brookfield Place during the first semi-final match (Germany vs. Turkey). It was relatively full but I managed to take a corner with a good view to one of the big screens. In the beginning I was kind of observing the atmosphere because I wouldn't know which team are they cheering for. So I stayed a little discreet when I cheer for the Germans. Not long enough, I got the sense that I was against the tide. We were out-numbered by the pro-Turkey team fans. Back in Germany, the fans must have been divided because there is a big population of Turkish immigrants specifically in Mannheim. The first half time culminated with a 1-1 score.

During the second half of the match I was in a better place, closer to more German fans. Some of the young ones had their football paraphernalia i.e. flags, shirts and caps. As the game was heating-up, the broadcast was interrupted, and interrupted and interrupted. I can't believe it but what could we do but release a big sigh and just watch the screen very closely for the score at least until the game was over. I was ecstatic that the Germans made it to the final. For a moment, I couldn't believe that I am this hooked to this football mania.
Back in June 2002 when I had my European tour, the football mania was very much in the air in every places we have visited. We could hardly comprehend how much the people there were glued to watching the game in the TV screens; in the bars, restaurants and open areas with humungous screens. I do remember, my friend and I kept talking a lot about it during the trip but now I think I understand (lol).

I happened to chat with a friend in Germany and I wasn't prepare for what she's going to tell me. That because the German team won the match over Portugal team, the major electronic shops and many other shops in Germany were offering major discounts in celebration of the team's victory. Funny huh! But it's true. She was one of those who arrived late at the shop hence, all the Wii games were all taken. I am wondering if there are more major promotions now that they won again the semi-final match.

Today the Spain team advanced to the final game facing the Germany team. In contrary, I watched the match alone at home. Spain team dominated the game with a 3-0 standing against Russia.

Looking forward to the final match on Sunday. Good luck! (Viel Glück!)


0 comments: