Places we have been.

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sunday Escapade

We intended to visit the Warplane Museum in Hamilton last Sunday. It is approximately an hour drive from downtown Toronto. On our way to North York to pick-up my friend Maricel, the sky started to get dark and not long after the heavy rains poured down, it was actually a hail. We had to drive really slow because of the poor visibility. How could we drive to Hamilton if the weather stays like this? Nevertheless, we went on to pick-up Maricel at the Baycrest Ave. It was impossible for us to drive to Hamilton in that weather condition so we decided to change plan. We continue driving south of Toronto while coming-up with a new destination, the Dixie Mall. Discount Sale seem to be a whole-year-round phenomenon here. The two hours we spent there felt like just few minutes while we were pre-occupied fitting shoes and clothes. Fortunately, the mall was not that busy.

At around 5pm we started thinking about dinner. I suggested going to the place where Maricel normally hang-out, Filipino restaurants along Bathurst and Wilson Streets. Since she has mentioned it to me several times, my curiosity enticed me to see my 'kababayans' (countrymen) get together. As we were closing in to the Bathurst St. from Highway 401 she asked me to prepare my camera. I took a shot of the 'Uncle Mel's Family Restaurant'. Further down the road came more Filipino shops and restaurants. It is so apparent that a big population of Filipinos must have settled in this area. She said that when she walks around this place she feels like she is in the Philippines.


We stopped at Sampaguita Village family restaurant. It is not that big but its 'Pinoy' inspired interior; the wall painting which depicts our traditional culture; and the Filipino channel which is continuously on, made the place like home.
Ironically the restaurant is owned not by Filipinos but Thai couple and a Thai cook. The crew though are mostly from southern Philippines so we talked to them in our dialect, Visayan. Their menu consists mainly of Filipino dishes and a few Chinese. We were immediately served with freshly sautéed peanuts and lumpia Shanghai . For the main course, we ordered sinigang na hipon (sour shrimp soup), grilled Tilapia, sweet and sour pork, some vegetables and steamed rice. Whilst we were still thinking what more to add, the lady told us 'Oh, that's enough'. I quickly stared at Maricel wanting to ask if I heard it right but she quickly explained to me that she didn't mean anything bad at all. She normally does it so the customers won't have left-over. Obviously, she was right. Taking home of left-over food (doggie bag) is no stranger to us. In fact, there was a table with styro and plastic containers in different sizes piled-up on it. Customers can help themselves to pack their leftover. We asked Maricel to take it because she hardly has time to cook for herself. The food was generally ok, nothing special about it. It was just so amusing to see kababayans around.





It brought me back memories when I was still in Dubai. There was one Filipino restaurant (Fareast) near my office, it was not big too but cozy owned by a Filipino family. That restaurant has been an extension to my kitchen. Living alone gave me no motivation at all to do something in my kitchen. Let alone planning what to cook and spending time going to the supermarket. Most of the time, I order food to be delivered to my place. If I crave for dried fish or any hard-smelling-dish, I would just call them to prepare it for me. I never dared having dried fish in my flat because the smell would not go away for weeks. Moreso, in 1997 there were not that many Filipinos in Dubai. This place served as my refuge whenever I miss home not only because of the food but the comfort it offered me when I am there. I guess it must be the same with my friend here. The other Filipino restaurants here have the popular 'karaoke' systems. For most of my kababayans this is the best place to relax and unwind.

After our dinner, we dropped Maricel in her place and we drove back to our place thru Yonge St. The rain didn't really stopped. I knew that there was a red carpet event (Much Music Awards Night) held at the Queen St. in that afternoon, I wonder if it was interrupted. I heard that famous music artists are in town for the event such as Rhianna, New Kinds on the Block, and many more.

0 comments: