Places we have been.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

It's Weekend Again

With the invitation we got from my friends and ex-colleagues back in Dubai to their home in Brampton, I devised our weekend’s plan to drive to Vaughan Mills (shopping complex) then to Brampton on Saturday. On Sunday, we will visit the CN tower and Rogers Center then explore the Kensington Market.

On Saturday noon time we headed to Vaughan Mills. It took as sometime to reach the place as I had misspelled “Vaughan Mills” so the navigation system didn’t recognize it. I had to get my friend on the line to give us the direction. After a few wrong turns, we finally reached our destination.



As advised, we went straight to the Designer’s Depot to pick-up some winter shoes and clothing. The complex is huge. Apart from the fact that we had limited time, with Herbert it will be a nightmare to go around the place so I was compelled to stick to one shop. His connotation of “shopping” is to write down what you need, target a shop where to go, go straight to the items you need, fit, pay then go. But not for me, I love to go to around, look what’s there then decide what/which one to buy. I promised myself to go back there and spend the day going around the place. We prioritized his stuff as I have more than enough time to shop for my things.As we drove out of the place, the sky was still clear, the sight of snow glistening under the sunlight had caught my attention. It was really nice. I managed to capture it in my cam. I kept on hoping that it will be the same weather the next day as we`re planning to climb up to the CN Tower.





Along Highway 7 going to Brampton, the traffic was manageable. I was very interested to see the residential areas, beautiful neighborhoods. I think it’s a very good location because it’s not too far from the downtown, about 45 minutes drive. It was almost 4pm when we arrived at my friends’ home.

It’s good to meet them again after more or less 6 years since the last time we met in Dubai. They have two pretty and smart daughters. The family has established very well here in Canada. They are both working for a We also met their friend from the Philippines who just arrived two months ago. It was the first time Herbert met them. We had lunch: my ever favorite ‘sinigang na baka’ with fish sauce (patis) was among the dishes on the table. Fantastic! One thing I really appreciate here in Toronto is that we can just prepare all kinds of dishes as ingredients are all available here. My other friends also told me that it feels that they are just in the Philippines; all this time they are mainly cooking Filipino dishes. It’s something we don’t have in Germany. There are also Asian shops there but not as big and as many as here. After lunch, we started to catch-up on many things. We also had so much fun with the girls, especially the two-year old one. She is so pretty, cute and very active who entertained us most of the time. It’s wonderful to connect once again with friends after a long time. Then we were invited again to a sumptuous and extended dinner. Eventually, the group split-up. The gentleman stayed on the table and the ladies found their corner in the kitchen. The stories went on and on, to realize that it was approaching midnight. We wished we have more time but it was time for us to hit the road back to downtown. We really enjoyed the time together.

In downtown, we dropped by the supermarket to pick-up things for the next day. I really appreciate this convenience because I can’t do it in Germany. I assume there is such one in big cities like Berlin, Frankurt etc.

The next day was cold, raining and had heavy snowfall. We opted not to go to the CN Tower because it was foggy too hence, we won’t see anything. Instead, we drove to the Kensington Market and China Town. This area is nice too with colorful buildings/apartments. This is basically known for small shops of antiques, souvenirs, dry goods, etc.





We went around having a glimpse of the place. We stepped into a small shop with nice Christmas decors, picked-up some pretty Christmas decors. It quickly came to my mind the last time we did this was in China. Time really flies so fast (huh).Just wondering where will be our next Christmas. I hope next time will be with my family in the Philippines. (I’m crossing my fingers).




Then I took Herbert to the China Town. We did shop for some Asian products but as usual we can’t stay in this place long. Herbert felt that we were again in China (lol). We were advised to go to Mississauga because the Chinese shop there is huge and clean, we plan to explore Mississauga next weekend. We still have to find time to go to Beer Store or Liquor shop. It’s quite strange for me that here in Canada alcoholic beverages are not sold in the supermarkets in contrary to Germany, where alcoholic beverages can be bought in supermarkets/shops. Although most of the people there go to the “Getränke Laden” (Drinks shops). It is overwhelming to see a line of various beer brands. I still have to find out how many different brands of beers there is and the different classifications of beers.

0 comments: